The secretaries at the high school are always dropping (not so subtle) hints for cookies and treats. They certainly do a lot for me and my program, so whenever I can, I oblige. For Christmas I made the office staff their favorite cookies. Coconut macaroons was first up on my list.
I love that this recipe is so simple and delicious! Drizzle chocolate to add some class.
- 14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine the coconut, condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until they make medium-firm peaks.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.
- Drop 1 TBSP of batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- While cookies are baking, melt chocolate in a double boiler.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over cookies using a piping bag or spoon.
- Cool and serve.